Monday, January 2, 2012

What About the Children

The days before Christmas are speeding by. I don’t have the energy to do all my Type A persona plans to complete—but wow, is this an improvement over last year. Yes! But when I write this, I’m reminded of how long the month of December is when you don’t feel well? A question came to mind, “What about the kids?”

Mom just had cancer surgery, she’s depressed with all that should be done and she has no strength. Dad is doing all he can, or maybe there isn’t a dad. And then I think, “What about the kids?”

I’m not focusing on physical or monetary needs, I’m thinking about emotional needs. Often kids don’t realize life isn’t normal and they become demanding. Sometimes they live in fear.

Two thoughts came to mind today, 1. Keep Christmas as simple and yet normal as possible. Simplify, simplify, simplify. Maybe this is the year for a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. 2. Encourage the kids in specific way. If the patient or caregiver doesn’t have time to create positive signs, ask the kids to make them. Keep the signs simply.

Years ago I visited a PMP patient and wife at Creighton. He didn’t want company, but Ann did. She hugged me. Talked and talked. Then said, “We have a five year old at home. She helped me write out Hope! Believe! Love! In two languages and then we hung them around the house.

What about candy striped signs? Ask the kids to be part of the positive thinking healing process.

Still Lionhearted, Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment